Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Weekend To Remember



Did you ever have one of those really special times, a visit with a friend, a vacation or a trip where everything went right?  It was so right it was like the best time you ever had?  We had one of those weekends.  It was just relaxing and fun.  Everything went right, the B&B was perfect, the friends were fun and happy and the weather cooperated fully.  Oh, and perfect food.  You have to have good food. 


 

Not everything was actually perfect, but darn close.  We started out Friday evening driving to catch the ferry.  We stopped for a bite of dinner and time was tight.  The service was poor at the restaurant cutting our time too tight for comfort.  We rushed out of the restaurant, hopped into our little Hyundai and started on our 10 minute drive to the ferry terminal.  Paul reached into his pocket for his weekend spending money and couldn't find his money.  He patted down his pockets as he briskly drove on in the dark, and could not find his loot.



By the happy face here, you wouldn't know it.  All the money for the weekend was lost.  It was dropped...somewhere.  Our ferry was already boarding and we had a few miles to go and it was one of the last ferrys for the evening.  The weekend ahead was too important to delay, we'd catch the ferry and not turn around for the lost fun money. 

Ooh, the spasm in the back really hurts now.



But, this is the only weekend we have alone together before the busyness of the spring hits and weekend after weekend is spent traveling and teaching.  He decides to let it not ruin a good time spent with me.  He's like that.  We continue on the ferry, feeling crummy but putting it in the past.  What can you do, right?

I heard the last call for the  8:10pm ferry that is a direct ride to Friday Harbor, I ask if I can buy 2 tickets.  I am asked where the other peson is and when I explain he is parking the car I am told no.  Its too late and catch the 8:25 which stops at all the little harbors between our terminal and our destination.  The travel time is longer and after the 3rd stop, we look around.  The ferry is empty is strangely quiet.  Finally in the dark of night our ferry continues to trudge on to its last stop.  We feel almost as dejected as the lonely ferry but we have the weekend ahead and time spent together to look forward to. 

As the ferry docks, we walk to car level, the very bottom level, and we see we are the very last people left on the ferry.   That vessel which can hold hundreds of people is loyal and takes the 2 of us to our stop where we debark on a moonless night , past my bedtime.




This vestibule greets us and we climb the stairs.



Upstairs, we find our room.



Once inside, the fireplace is warmly lit and Paul takes a little jacuzzi bath to work out the spasm in the back.  He hardly complained but its been a long night and sleep would be nice. 

While he is in the jacuzzi, I sneak out onto the deck and see a warm hot tub and jump in.  I manage to snap a picture of the slip of a moon and I think I see some stars staring back at me.



The next morning, we peek out our deck and see the beautiful sights from our room.





We had a relaxing morning and enjoyed breakfast delivered to our room.







Can you even believe what deliciousness this was?


We took a little walk and explored the sights








We had mentioned to our friends, Dale and Vada that we were getting away for the weekend and invited them to join us. 

What were we thinking? 



Like we did, they walked on for the hour ferry ride and we met them as the ferry docked.  It was comforting to know our friends would be joining us.



Paul barbequed steak, I made a salad.










We just hung out on island time.





There were beautiful spring flowers.


But the views of the sound were peaceful and relaxing.



For someone who works so hard, its nice to see him take in the down time.










I think he is thinking about what he could have spent if he hadn't lost his money?  What do ya think? 


Well, he didn't spend too much time worrying.  We wanted to spend the last few hours on a little fun.















"Gentlemen...start your engines."

Sorry, I had to say that.

These little cuties only go 20 miles per hour.





Paul studied the map.



Dale wanted the excitement of a 4 stroke.



"Enough already, lets get going!"








I have fears of dying.



Because I am afraid I pray.  But I also get very jealous of the views these people have. 



After returning safe and sound, we are starved, no hungry for something world famous and fishy.



I did not feel crabby, but often times, I am very much at home...with crabs.





I think this guy is one of the owners.




This is my favorite food, fish tacos.  I've never had one with velveeta cheese.  Yes, it was yummy!!



This plate of food is bigger than Vada.  She ate every bite.



Each of the guys got a 3 piece fish and chip.  Hand cut cod and potatoes, homemade tarter.  Ohhh, yummo has nothing on these fixins.

No wonder they are world famous. 







Right here, he forgot about his money...well...maybe.



And the spasm in his back.



He's trying though. 

really trying



I thought this little guy was cute.  He has a big boy fish sandwhich and he is going to eat it all gone.

And its time for the trip home.



Where did the weekend go? 



The happy ending is that once we got to the car, I drove us home in Paul's car.  I got in the car and pulled the seat up so my knees hit the ...well...my knees don't happen to hit anything, but I am pulled up close to the steering wheel so I can reach the pedals.

We drive to a spot to get a drink and mother nature calls.  Paul looks in the back seat for his briefcase.  He sees a wad of cash that had been hidden under the seat.  Luckily, I have very short legs and had to pull the seat up and it  revealed  that Paul's weekend was not ruined by the loss of a little hard earned cash.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great story Lori. I'm glad you had such a great weekend. Nice way to start your 5th decade.